Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Levi is not a special needs child. He is my son.



I read an article the other day that was shared by a friend on Facebook.  It was an experience a woman had with her son who has Down Syndrome.  A cashier at a store gazed upon her son and said “I bet you wish you had known before he came out. You know they have a test for that now…”  You can read the article here. I have to give the women credit. She handled the situation well by using her sarcastic wit.  There are many different ways this could have gone down.  If I were put in a similar situation, I am not sure I would have shown such restraint.

Her point is well taken.  She didn’t see her son as a disability.  She saw her son as her son.  This is exactly the same way I see Levi or my two girls for that matter.  Sure, there are many daily extra things we contend with such as therapies, stretching and putting on braces.  It can be difficult at first but eventually you settle into a routine.  Taking Levi to Therapy really isn’t any different than taking the girls to dance class.  It’s just something during the week that we do.

Levi’s Cerebral Palsy doesn’t define him. What defines him is his lovable personality.  That big smile he always has on his face.  His excitement and anticipation as he tries a new experience.  His love for the outdoors.  His little comedic side as he tries to make us laugh.  His love of music. He is just a sweet little boy and that is how we see Levi.

No comments:

Post a Comment